Friday 10 February 2012

How hard is it to follow instructions?!

I am somewhat demanding and difficult  about the service I receive when eating out.  I believe that If I am paying for something, it needs to meet my expectations. I expect friendly service but the most basic thing I require from a waiter is the simple capability to follow instructions.
Cape Town has a general 50/50 split between good service and terrible service. I have experienced excellent service in places such as the V & A Waterfront and Camps Bay, but that is because it aimed tourists I guess.
I visit Eden On The Bay often. It is one of the most up and coming outdoor malls in Cape Town. It is situated in Blouberg, directly overlooking the ocean and Table Mountain. It offers everything from Pick n’ Pay to upmarket restaurants and clothing boutiques. All the restaurants are situated on a boardwalk that looks onto the bay. While you dine you can watch surfers frolic in the waves or behold spectacular sunsets. Restaurants include Moyo, Capellos and Ciao Baby to name a few. The prices at Eden On The Bay are reasonable, food delicious and the view magnificent. I would score it 10/10 if it weren’t for the incompetent service.
The last couple times I have eaten out there, I have had the misfortune of having a waiter or waitress who simply does not understand instructions or is affected by a language barrier.  How hard is it to understand “a glass of ice water with no lemon please” or “no green pepper in my salad please” or “bring me a takeaway box”? A child could understand and follow those instructions yet the staff at most of the restaurants at Eden On The Bay cannot.

I think it’s time to start being a bitch and complain or these places may be losing customers. To restaurant owners: remember, it is the locals who keep you warm in winter!


Eden on the Bay -Taken from urbika.com and bigbay.bz

 


 

3 comments:

  1. Did you end up complaining to the manager? If so did it help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I complained to them but they literally didn't even register what I had just said! Needless to say they got less than 10% for a tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waiters can be simple sometimes you right. But customers can be even more pathetic most of the time.

    I think I would have just taken the lemon out. Things like that dont phase me, I'm more phased about my food being hot, and my cutlery being clean, nothing worse. Any waiter that can keep drinks flowing is a winner.

    ReplyDelete