Friday 17 February 2012

To be a bird...

A few weeks back I was exploring Hout Bay and found myself  at the World of Birds. What a magical place it was! It is home to over 3000 birds of various species, monkeys, llamas, reptiles and other cute critters. All animals live in aviaries and enclosures that resemble their natural habitat. The World of Birds sanctuary has designed these enclosures in such a way that visitors can walk amongst the birds and not just see them through cages. The sanctuary looks after wounded and endangered birds and has many breeding programmes. it relies largely on visitors and donations to keep running.

It is a wonderful place to visit, especially if you have kids or simply just love nature.  I enjoyed seeing the eagles feeding on their prey, the playful monkeys  and the talking parrots. I even had the Honey Badger trying to steal our Creme Soda! There is a colourful assortment of creatures that will fascinate you for a good couple of hours. Tickets cost R75 for adults and R40 for children. It is a good day out for all!


A photo collage I created depicting my World of Birds experience.

 

1 comment:

  1. You are lucky if you catch me anywhere near a bird! Cant stand the sight of them!
    Think World Of Birds is great for the kids, but seriously, who wants a exotic parrot to sit on your shoulder? No thanks.
    I gave birds a chance when I was younger, I'm done with them. Been bitten, chased and harrassed by enough thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete